THINGS TO DO AROUND ST.LOUIS - #22 INDIANAPOLIS
This is the first time I am venturing out of Missouri for a weekend outing, but there are a lot of places around STL that make for perfect weekend getaways. Be it other mid-west cities, state parks, rivers and lakes or scenic drives, each destination gives a little peek in the unique mid-western culture – historic, close to nature, easy-going and progressive all at the same time, and above all, highly under-rated. Indianapolis is one of the cities just 3-4 hr drive from STL and gives a nice change from your daily routine. It is a small urban area with its own feel and vibe and event highlights such as Super Bowl, Nascar, etc.
Things to do:
- The canal…this is the non-commercialized and shorter version of the San Antonio canal experience. The Indy canal is soo pretty with its greenery, the bridges and the pretty homes lined on both sides. You can canoe or paddleboat or take gondola rides in the waters. You can also explore the canal through biking, Segway, 4-seater cycles, or skateboards or on foot
- In my opinion, the best way to explore any city is on foot…that’s when you feel the vibe and the culture. And Indy downtown is best suited for this activity. If you don’t mind walking at the speed of talk, then you can explore the entire Indianapolis downtown on foot, as the area is not too large
- The Monument is another attraction in downtown dedicated to war soldiers I guess…you can go to the top of the monument for $2 and enjoy the Indy views from the top. If you decide to climb the 24-storey tall structure, you can do that FOC
- Other stuff in downtown include museums, malls, zoo…you may visit them as per your taste and liking
- For nightlife, Whoesale district and Mass Ave have some great options
- For food, I enjoyed Scotty’s Brewhouse and Café Patachou gave me an awesome brunch!
- There are some state parks in driving distance too…Brown county state park one of them
Time: 4 hour drive from STL. A weekend is perfect for an Indy visit. We skipped the state parks etc as there are enough of them here in MO.
More details: http://visitindy.com/ and tripadvisor
-Can leave STL on a friday evening and enjoy the Indy nightlife starting Friday night
-Saturday, visit the canal in daytime. There are some good restaurants and cafes with a canal view and back to nightlife later
-Sunday, visit the downtown, the monument, enjoy brunch at local places, and then head back to STL